ALL FRESHMEN URGED TO TAKE ONE SCIENCE

Three Professors Recommend Those Studying Humanities to Take One Course for Distribution

Pointing out the broad benefits resulting from the study of science, three important professors said in recent interviews that no Freshmen should make their plans of concentration without allowing for at least one science course.

The plea of the three professors was that Freshmen should not concentrate exclusively on the humanities without any attention to science.

Hooton Recommends Biology

Earnest A. Hooton, professor of Anthropology, stated strongly that a good course in biology ought to be included in the education of every college student. "Man is an animal and ought to know himself and his fellow animals--inferiors or superiors. The neglect of biology in education seems to me one of the most fundamental errors committed by unenlightened pedagogues."

"I do not say that students should be forced to study human biology," Hooton went on. "I merely urge that, at any rate, they rub up against some sort of animals and study them objectively."

Scientific Technique Necessary

Agreeing with Hooton, Frederick L. Hisaw, professor of Zoology, said that biology lies at the roots of society. "Our entire life is based on biological laws. Our government arises from biological needs." Hisaw likewise pointed out the necessity of acquiring the scientific method of approach.

Kirtley F. Mather, professor of Geology, claimed that science, better than anything else, teaches students to think clearly. "So many men who have concentrated in history or government, for example, become walking encyclopedias. They spout dates, facts, and other persons' theories, but have not learned to think for themselves. In the science lab the student learns to work out his own problems by himself."