SIGNED CONTRACT AGREES ON TERMS FOR DINING HALLS

Cooks and Waitresses May Soon Have Coveted Monopoly on University's Kitchen Labor

University Hall officials confirmed in a written contract yesterday the preferential shop and higher wage agreement, conceded kitchen workers two weeks ago to avert a general strike in the dinings halls.

The labor contract, second of its kind in 302 years of Harvard's existence, not only granted the A. F. of L. the sole bargaining rights it earned last year, but also virtually assured cooks and waitresses of an eventual closed shop.

The signing of the agreement by Financial Vice-President John W. Lowes '19 and Labor Leader Joseph Stefani yesterday, ended over two months of strenuous negotiation. The bargaining many times became severely strained by the threat of complete breakdown and the possibility of a walkout in House and Union dining halls.

New Workers Union Men

By agreeing to hire all new employees through the A. F. of L. and by urging all non-affiliated laborers to join Locals 186 and 112, the university has paved the way for an all-union shop in the kitchens. As a further concession wage increases, which amount to as much as $2 a week in the case of waitresses, have been successfully agreed upon.

The University Pension system, another bone of contention between the two bargaining powers, was kept in full force despite the workers' previous demand that it be abolished at all costs. The issue was held up in earlier negotiations because it was felt that national legislation might outlaw Harvard's present insurance policy.

Ranks Swell

Organizer Joseph Stefani revealed last night that since the truce on March 15 between the University and 400 strike-hungry employees the union membership had swelled substantially. "As far as the cooks are concerned, we have automatically a closed shop." He said that enrollment in the waitresses' local was rapidly nearing 100 per cent of those on Harvard's payroll.