207 APPLICANTS SEEK NIEMAN SCHOLARSHIPS

Journalists From 39 States Apply for Fellowships at Harvard for Coming Academic Year

Two hundred and seven newspapers men from 39 states have applied for Nieman Fellowships for the next academic year, the University announced yesterday.

Founded in 1937 by the bequest of Mrs. Agnes Wahl Nieman, in memory of her husband, the founder of the Milwaukee Journal, "to promote and elevate the standards of journalism in the United States," the Fellowships give their recipients an annual stipend approximately equal to their salaries.

All American newspapermen with at least three years' experience are eligible for fellowships, regardless of age or previous education. The entire field of instruction is open to the Nieman Fellows, who carry on a program of lectures, seminars, private reading, and informal discussions, supplemented by formal course study under Archibald Macleish, Curator of the Nieman Collection of Contemporary Journalism.

The nine journalists now studying at the University, who were selected as the first recipients of Nieman Fellowships, are John McLane Clark, Irving Dilliard, Edwin Wesley Fuller, Jr., Frank Snowden Hopkins, Edwin A. Lahey, Hilary Herbert Lyons, Jr., Louis Martin Lyous, Edwin John Paxton, Jr., and Thomas Osburn Zuber.