Clark May Gulp for Goldfish Crown On National Tour as Circus Freak

Belgian Burghers, Practicing Since 1400 in Annual Fete, Offer New Threat

Irving M. Clark '41, the man who first began gulping goldfish on a big-time scale, is considering returning to his goldfish wars again this summer as a result of an offer to tour the country as a circus freak and take on all local title claimants in one-night stands.

The summer trip would give Irv a good chance to get in shape for the 1940 Olympics, as he expects to wade through all American competition without much difficulty. As a matter of record, however, it appears that strenuous opposition will be provided from little Belgium, because in Gramment at the "Feast of Der Krakclinge" the good burghers have been lapping up 500 live goldfish anually since 1400.

Questions Other Records

Harvard's standard-bearer admits that he would welcome an opportunity to test the prowess of the numerous pretenders to his crown who have sprung up since his epic feat on March 26. "I really doubt whether all of them have been following the rules of the IGGA (Intercollegiate Goldfish Gulping Association)," Clark said. The record has kept on soaring sky-high, as many a lad has made his fame and fortune. At present Joseph Deliberate is accredited (unofficially) with bringing the title to Clark University by downing $9, eclipsing Gordon Southworth's 67 for Middlesex College.

According to the rules, each fish has to be three-inches long, and they can't be let out of their new homes for at least 12 hours. By those standards, the least 42 set by Albert E. Hayes of M. I. T. is definitely invalidated.

"I don't want to endanger my amateur standing in any way this summer on the proposed trip, but I suppose I'll have to take on professionals too," said Clark as a parting shot. "Also, I'm a little worried about the various types of fish that would be used in different parts of the country, because these big fantails are pretty hard to get down sometimes."