Steinburg Circulates Petition Urging Establishment of Brazilian Institute

Proposed School to Teach Speech, Culture--Spreading "New World Brotherhood"

In the hope of developing closer connections between the United States and Brazil, Maurice Stoinburg ''39 is circulating a petition for establishing a Brazilian Institute in New England with the official support of Dr. Hdefonso Falcao, Brazilian Consul in Boston.

Stein burg would like to set up such an institution either connected with Harvard or else in the Boston district.

To Teach Portages

The purpose of the school would be to teach Portuguese, and to stress the history, geography, art, literature, and economics of Brazil. Instruction would be free to qualified Harvard students, and the Brazilian government would support it financially.

"It is important to establish an institute through which people of the United States can become acquainted with the cultural activities of Brazilians--their music, their arts, their periodicals, literature, and history," Dr. Falcao says.

The Brazilian Consul stresses the important trade, cultural, and physical relationship between the two New World countries. "Need for arousing the bends of New World Brotherhood was never more imperative than in this era of totalitarian governments."

Fellow European Lead

Similar institutions have been founded at Kings College in London and the Sorbonne in Paris. Steinburg hopes to get 100 signatures for this petition, which to will send to the Brazilian government.