Love Gets Freshman Heavy Crew into Shape for Initial Regatta With Tech

Pennoyer strokes, Ducey Is Cox For Saturday's Opening Run On Charles

After a hectle final week of time trials and gruelling practices in drenching rain, Coach Harvey M. Love has finally found what he believes to be the winning combination for the 1942 heavyweight crew. The season will open in a regatta with M.I.T. Saturday afternoon over the Charles River Basin Henloy Course.

Despite the late start and bad weather conditions that have hampered all rowing this spring, Love is not pessimistic. But he does admit that the time trials to date are not as promising as those turned in at the same time last spring. However, he goes on to state that there is a keener spirit of competition between the first and second crews than was evident at any time last year. In fact, it is the second crew's persistence in beating the first boat that has necessitated a continued shifting of men from one boat to another in an attempt to find the fastest combination.

From the coxswain's position, little 85' pound, Jimmy will steer the boat that has finally been selected to start against M. I. T. At stroke will be Paul C. Pennoyer, G feet, G inches, 189 pounder from New York.

At the seven oar North Bacon, 175 lbs., from New York City, presides, while Hal Whitman, 18G lbs., from Boston takes charge of the No.6 position. The No. 5 pivot finds "Mike" Marshall 197 lb. giant from California and at No. 4 is 189 lb. Anthony Villa of New York City. Fred Herter, 179 lb, native of Boston controls the No. 3 spot, backed up by John Erskine who hails from California at No. 2. Rowing the bow oar is Everett H. Brown of Philadelphia. Both Brown and Erskine tip the scales at 172 lbs.

In the second boat the positions are as follows: stroke, Bristol Hall; No. 7, James E. Walker; No 6, "Buck" Anderson; No. 5, Gerald A. Fulham; No. 4, Alan Miller; No. 3, Lewis H. Spence; No. 2, Edward C. Perkins; bow, William T. Emmet 2nd; and cox John w. Straus.

This year's Yardling crew has an outstanding reputation to live up to and will find it difficult to equal the undefeated mark which last year's outstanding oarsmen established. The '42 outfit is fully as powerful as its predecessors but has not yet developed the necessary finesse.

Love would made no prediction on the outcome of the M. I. T. race except to state that they would be an unknown quantity. However, their past record and unorthodox style indicates that they should not constitute a serious threat so early in the season.