SENATOR TYDINGS HITS FDR'S ECONOMIC CONTROL

125 Students Hear Anti-New Deal Solon Warn of Stampeding of Legislators By Minorities

When government steps out of its "proper function" of economic regulation into economic control, it is usually a result of allegedly "temporary legislation" passed in the stress of emergency at the behest of pressure groups, Senator Millard Tydings said here tonight, in an address on "Pressure Groups in our American Democracy."

Before 125 students, educators, and government officials attending the fourth annual H-y-P Conference on Public Affairs, the anti-New Deal Maryland Senator warned that when organized minorities stampede legislators into "meddling and hindering the private initiative of the people, logic and good government fall by the wayside."

The bad boy of last summer's "purge" laughed off undergraduate toastmaster Brook Lee's intimation that Tydings may well be presidential timber in 1940.

Attacking half-baked liberalism, Tydings said, "Many crimes have been committed in the name of progress. There is a point beyond which economic medicine is ineffective, even when the label on the bottle is liberal."

In an assault on the bulk of New Deal economic measures and its "bureaucratic agencies," Tydings alleged that such measures "may be rationalized under the name of temporary measures, but never, never, never is the policy abandoned or restricted."

Senator Robert R. Reynolds of North Carolina in the evening's other address on "The Present Situation in Europe," counsellor isolation.