Stahlmen Overpower Dartmouth 8-5 to Pace Eastern League

Crimson Rise in Sixth to Clinch Crucial Tilt; Dartmouth In Third Place

By Theodore R. Barnett

Connecting safely in seven out of eight innings, Floyd Stahl's Varsity batsmen regained Eastern Intercollegiate League supremacy Saturday afternoon at Soldiers Field as they thoroughly outplayed the League leaders from Hanover in an 8 to 5 victory.

With Dartmouth in third place the Crimson now hold a half-game lead over Cornell, who defeated Yale Friday in a romp.

Until the first half of the sixth, Harvard appeared to be well on the way to an easy victory behind Tom Healey. Three tallies had been pushed across in the second, and one each in the third and fifth. However, Dartmouth combined three walks, three hits, and two Fulton wild heaves to bat around in the sixth and score five runs, thus tying up the game.

Crimson Rally in Sixth

Lupe Lupien provided the winning margin in Harvard's half of the frame with a two-run single to right. Healey led off with the second of his three singles of the day. Maxson, Green burler, threw wild to second on Johns' grounder, and all hands were safe. Hoye's sacrifice bunt advanced the two runners.

A moment later Grondahl walked to fill the bases. At this point Lupien caught hold of one of Maxson's curves, and the Crimson were ahead. To insure victory, Grondahl and Lupien pulled a smart Stahl double steal, with Grondahl ringing up number eight.

Lupien, Lovett Star at Bat

Lupien and Gene Lovett, Sophomore left fielder, were the big guns in the home team's offense. Lupien opened the last half of the second with a smash to deep left, which snappy relaying held to two bases. Lovett then drove a slow ball over second into centerfield, scoring Lupien; Tully singled.

One was out, and the sacks were full when Healey field to right, Tully scoring after the catch. Thereupon Captain Art Johns dropped a perfect Texas leaguer into right field, scoring Bob Fulton, who had reached on a fielder's choice.

* * * * * * *

Lovett golfed out two triples in the course of the afternoon, one in the third, and one in the fifth. Both came with bases empty and two out, and timely hitting sent him across each time. . . . Little Georgie Hanna, batting leader of the Circuit, was unable to get the horsehide out of the infield in five times at bat.