Stunning Win Over Elis Gives Trackmen 14 Places on Oxford-Cambridge Squad

Lightbody, Downing, Donahue Garner 6 Firsts as Yale Cubs Trim Yardlings

By Spencer Klaw

OXFORD-CAMBRIDGE

100-yard dash--Charles C. Smith '41; Robert W. M. P. Gammons '39.

220-yard dash--Torbert H. Macdonald '40; James Rothschild (Y).

440-yard run--James D. Lightbody; '40; *Francis R. King '39.

880-yard run--Alfred J. Hanlon, Jr., '39; (run-off on Tuesday, May 23, between Joseph C. Bradley '39 and Ord of Yale).

Mile-run -- Ben Holderness (Y); Roswell Brayton '39.

Two-mile run--Al Shapleigh (Y); Eugene V. Clark '40.

120-yard high hurdles--Donald A. Donahue '41; Richard Osborn (Y).

220-yard low hurdles--Donald A. Donahue '41; Roger S. Schafer '41.

High jump--Robert Haydock, Jr. '39* (jump-off between Irving S. Michelman '39, Robert B. Partlow, Jr., '41; and Black and Brinckley of Yale).

Broad jump--Robert B. Partlow, Jr., '41; Hunt Ethridge (Y)*.

Pole Vault--Lussen (Y); (jump-off at Heptagonal between Stephen L. Madey '40, Frederick M. MacIsaac '41; and Gene Bliss of Yale).

Shot put--George A. Downing '40*; Howard P. Mendel '40.

*Participated in Oxford-Cambridge in summer of 1937.

Jaakko Mikkola's trackmen not only rolled up a record of 91 2-3 points against their traditional rivals at New Haven Saturday, but they assured themselves of 14 out of 20 places on the Yale-Harvard team which makes the coveteil trip to England this summer to compete with an Oxford-Cambridge combination.

Run-offs for second man in the half mile, high jump, and pole vault will be held later this month.

On a cold, wind-swept Yale track the Mikkolamen made good their early season promises, clicking off 11 out of 15 first places. Highlights in the Crimson's stunning triumph were the double victories scored by Jim Lightbody in the 440 and 880, George Downing in the shot and discus, and Don Donahue in the hurdles.

Donahue Sets Hurdle Mark

The Sophomore timber-toppers's record time of 14.6 seconds in the highs was disallowed because of a favoring wind, but this 23.6 second clocking in the lows stands as a meet and Harvard record.

Although the majority of the breaks went to the Crimson, the Blue crashed through with two mild upsets when Ben Holderness sprinted past Ros Brayton to the tape for a 4:28.2 mile, and when Sophomore Al Shapleigh showed his heels to Gene Clark as he won the two-mile run in the excellent time of 9:42.8.

Harvard's other first places went to Bill Shallolw, who tossed the hammer out beyond the 164 foot mark for his best throw this year; to Captain Bob Haydock who cleared the bar at six feet in the high jump; to Charley Smith for a 9.9 second Century; to Torby Macdonald in the Furlong; and to Bob Partlow, who upset Yale's Hunt Ethridge in the broad jump with a 22 foot, 9 and one quarter inch leap