NIEMAN FELLOWS RECEIVE DIPLOMAS FROM CONANT

Nine Journalists Return to Jobs After Leaves of Absence; L. M. Lyons Is Named Assistant Curator

Completing their year of study here, nine Nieman Fellows received certificates from President James B. Conant in a simple ceremony in his office yesterday afternoon.

Under scholarships from the Nieman Foundation for Journalism, the journalists came here this fall with leaves of absence from their papers to study subjects in which they were particularly interested. Most of them will now return to work with their papers.

Eight Journalists Present

Fellows who received their certificates yesterday: Edwin A. Lahey of the Chicago Daily News; Frank S. Hopkins of the Baltimore Sun; Osburn Zuber, editorial writer for the Birmingham News; Irving Dillard, editorial writer on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch; Louis M. Lyons of the Boston Globe; John McL. Clark, editorial writer on the Washington Post; Hilary H. Lyons, Jr., chief editorial writer for the Mobile Press Register; and E. Wesley Fuller, Jr. '33 of the Boston Herald.

Edwin J. Paxton will receive his certificate by mail, for he has already returned to work as editorial writer and associate editor of the Paducah (Kentucky) Sun-Democrat.

The College recently appointed Louis M. Lyons assistant curator of the Nieman Collection of Contemporary Journalism. He will combine his regular duties on the Boston Globe with his work with Nieman Fellows next year.