BLISS PRIZE EXAM WINNER ANNOUNCED

TO DROP EXAMS

Examinations will be played down in the determining of the William H. Bliss Prizes next year, Paul H. Buck, associate professor of History and recently appointed chairman of the Committee on Extra-Curricular Reading in American History, announced last night together with the names of the nominees for the prizes this spring.

Kenneth T. Young '39, of Cambridge, was recommended to the Corporation for the first prize of $100, while Ray S. Cline '39, of Dunster House and Terre Haute, Indiana, was named for the second prize of $50. Their names will have to be submitted to the Corporation for acceptance before they receive their awards for winning the examination held April 15.

Eleven Take Exam

The fact that only eleven men took the examination was the chief cause of the changes, to be announced definitely next week. Six other men who passed the examination with honorable mention will be presented with copies of books in the field of American history.

Reason for the small number was given as the fact that it was the second, or intermediate, in a series of increasing difficulty. All of the eleven men had taken the first examination at some time, and a great many of the rest of those who took the primary test dropped out before the prospect of another test and more outside reading.

The plan next year will incorporate a system of competitive essays, to be integrated with the work of students in courses such as English A. The staff of councilors of the Committee is working on the details of the plan at the present time, Buck said.