ANNUAL POTTER PRIZES AWARDED TO THREE

Zylstra, Simboli, Soule Win Awards for Literary Essays; Sargent Prize to Matinband

Annual prizes varying from $50 to $100 were awarded by the University today to eight students for outstanding essays or compositions.

Three Suzan Anthony Potter prizes were awarded to Henry Zylstra 2G, who won $100 for the best thesis on a subject in the field of Comparative Literature for his essay, "Hoffman in English and American Literature"; to David R. Simboli '40, who received $50, for the best undergraduate essay for he field of Comparative Literature concerning the Middle Ages or the Renaissance; and $75 to Karl T. Soule, Jr, 39 for the best undergraduate essay on a subject dealing with the Spanish Literature of the Golden Age.

James H. Matinband '40 won the John Osborne Sargent prize of $200 for the best metrical translation into English of a lyric poem of Horace. The Sales prize of $60 was given to Karl T. Soule, Jr. '39 for his translation into Spanish of a passage from "Two Years Before the Mast," by Richard Henry Dana, Jr. Thomas V. Healey '40 and Robert E. Tucker '41 received honorable mention.

The Billings prize of $150 for improvement in pulpit delivery was divided between Theodore S. Darrah 3Dv., John A. Martin 3 Dv., and Harry B. Scholefield 3Dv.