NEWSPAPERMAN STREIT ADVISES DEMOCRACEES UNITE IN PEACE MOVE

LAUNCHES ATTACK ON ISOLATION AS SHORTSIGHTED

Doclaring that the only effective solution to present day world anarchy can be found in a union of Atlantic democracies along the lines of the American Constitution, Clarence K. Streit, former New York Times correspondent in Geneva, outlined his plan for preserving peace yesterday afternoon as guest lecturer in Government 30.

Introduced by Bruce Hopper '17, associate professor of Government, who attended Montana University with him, the veteran newspaperman spoke to a near capacity crowd in Harvard 1 and conducted a short forum afterwards. He began by attacking isolationism, likening it to a refusal to acknowledge the existence of small pox next door. "The present decay of world order amounts to ruination without representation," he said, citing the failure of diplomacy, the League, and armaments to solve international disputes.

Race for World Unity

"The only alternative is war," he asserted. "The race is already on between the dictatorial and democratic nations to see which side can unite most of the world first."

He offered his Union of democracies as the logical challenge to this threat, showing that 15 Atlantic democracies, excluding South-American nations, can control both hemispheres by creating a stronger bond of administration and sentiment between these countries which are already similar economically and ideologically. "And for the government of this Union, why not use the one constitution in modern history which has really worked--the American one?" he asked.

"An Invitation to You . . ."

A Union common citizenship, a Union free-trade economy, a common currency, and a common postal system are some of the essentials of the plan as presented by Streit, while at the same time each nation will practice "democracy at home."

"This is an invitation to you do something really worthwhile with this life of yours," Streit concluded, pointing out that if every man waits for his neighbor to take action on the plan, nothing will be accomplished. "You've got to go out and get it yourself if you want this Union!" was his final challenge.