NINE HOLDS FIRST IN EASTERN DIAMOND FIGHT

Batsmen Hit 283 Average; Second Best Fielding Record Made by Stahlmen Johns Leads Batters

At the present time Coach Floyd Stahl's baseball warriors are perched in first place in the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League. They are carrying off with them a lion's share of the individual and team honors in the circuit.

In six League contests, the Crimson have come to bat 214 times and have pounded out 60 hits for a 283 average average, good enough to pace the loop in this department. The boys haven't shown up so badly afield either, for they have handled 242 chances with but ten miscues. This record gives them a mark of .960, the second best fielding average compiled in the League to date. But for the Cornell debacle, the Stahlmen would be coasting along with an average about 20 percentage points higher.

Johns Leads Batters

Art Johns and Lupe Lupien are going to have a lot to say about who walks off with the batting championship (Charles H. Blair Bat Competition), and chances are pretty good that one of them will keep the title in Cambridge. Lupien was the winner last year with a .475 mark in the 12 League games. At the present time, both Johns and Lupien are right up among the pace-setters with .429 and .381 respectively for the six tilts they have played in. STANDING OF THE TEAMS   W  L  Pet. Harvard  5  1  .833 Dartmouth  4  1  .800 Cornell  2  2  .500 Yale  1  2  .333 Columbia  1  2  .333 Ponu  1  3  .250 Princeton  0  2  .000