NETMEN BEAT PENN BUT BOW TO PRINCETON 7-2

Palfrey Wins Third Singles Match and Burt-Gilkey Duo Also triumphs Over Strong Tigers

Coach Jack Harnsby's Varsity racquet swingers overcame the Pennsylvania squad 7 to 2 on Friday, but Saturday the strong Princeton Tiger outfit proved to be a tougher proposition, sending the Crimson down to a 7 to 2 defeat.

The Crimson were able to salvage but one of the six singles matches as John Palfrey won a marathon duel from Jack Wendel of Princeton. Rellable Dave Burt went down to defeat in the number one match for the first time this year. Captain Langdon Gilkey extended his Orange and Black opponent to the utmost before yielding in three sets.

In the doubles Burt and Gilkey won over the first Tiger due in straight sets, but the other two doubles contents also went to Princeton. Coach Barnaby used four of his reserves in the last two matchos, Langdon Marvin, Ross Lyell, Art Brooks, and George Goodwin.

The Crimson Freshmen were on the short and of a 9 to 0 score in a match with a team composed of Harvard graduates on the Jarvis Courts on Saturday afternoon. Russ Ellis, at number one for the Yardlings, was the only man who was able to take a set from his adversary.