Stahlmen Fall to Second Place In E.I.L. by Failing in Pinches

Indians Bunch Blows in First For Three Runs; Broberg Paces Green Attack

By Donald Peddle

Dartmouth's Varsity baseball team came through with three booming hits off Tom Bealey in the pinches at Hanover Saturday afternoon, while the Crimson left runner after runner stranded on the sacks thus shoving Floyd Stahl's nine into second place in the E. I. L. on the short end of a 5 to 3 count.

Healey was pitted against Indian ace, Chief Wonson, and Tom ran into trouble right from the start. His control wasn't quite what it can be, and the Indians made him work pretty hard. Hanna opened up by drawing a pass, and then Gus Broberg exploded the first ball pitched to him for a home run into some broken down right field bleachers.

Linden walked and scored all the way from first on Cottone's long double over Hoye's head in deep center. After that Healey had things well in hand.

The Dartmouth infield worked flawlessly, and the expected leaks just didn't appear. Outfielder Hein contributed the only Green error, and that was excusable. The Green fielders never looked too impressive, however, because almost all of the Crimson drives went directly at them. they couldn't do anything but stop them or duck.

The Stahlmen threatened in the second and third, but just could not produce when the chips were down. Gene Lovett finally scored a run from third base in the fourth after a foul fly catch carried first baseman Linden right into the crowd. The Indiana, with Broberg again providing the big punch, all but sewed up the game in the seventh with two more tallies.

In the ninth the huge Indian house-party crowd had a few anxious moments after Hein's two base bobble, but Lovett's fly ended the rally.