TUTORING TROUBLES

PRESS

The ancient question of the legitimacy of university tutoring has recently been reviewed by the Harvard Crimson and, as the system is conducted there, found to be a definite evil. With a request to other Harvard publications to refuse tutoring school advertisements the Cambridge daily formally declared war on the system in general. . . . Not content with discreet announcements, high pressure advertising is brought into use (but the tutoring schools) inferring that he who studies is a sucker and which includes a cocktail party for freshmen. . . . Having as an example the mild form of the system as it exists here and at New Haven the editorial board feels that these conditions could and should be eliminated. But it might be pointed out that as long as the only weapons used are the refusal of advertisements and publicizing the evil there can be no hope of success. Such tactics only move tutoring school ads from the back pages to the front page headlines with nothing but a loss to the business board and a little editorial steam blown off. --Daily Princetonian.