Crew's Henley Regatta Victory Stands Out Among Summer's Events; Crimson-Blue Track Squad Loses

Oarsmen Win Coveted Grand Challenge Cup in Three Straight Triumphs

Members of the Harvard-Yale track squad did not perform quite up to expectations in their invasion across the seas, and the result was a decisive 9 to 3 victory for their British consins from Oxford and Cambridge.

The lone Crimson first-place winner was Howie Mondel, who tossed the 16-pound shot 47 ft. 11 in. to establish a new meet record. The other two American firsts were provided by Jay Shields and Tom Lussen of Yale in the 120-yard high hurdles and pole vault, respectively.

British Edge in Seconds

Even under the American system of scoring points by counting seconds and thirds, the Oxford-Cambridge combination would have won handily. The British had a 7 to 5 edge in seconds over the Harvard-Yale track forces.

Four of these second-place winners were Crimson athletes. Don Donahue got a second in the 220-yard low hurdles, George Downing in the shot put, Fred MacIsaac in the pole vault, and Bob Partlow in the broad jump.

Harvard Disappointments

Biggest disappointments to Crimson-Blue followers were Jim Lightbody, who had to be satisfied with a third in the 440, and sprinter Charley Smith. Smith pulled a muscle in his right leg while he was leading the pack in the 100 and dropped all the way to fourth at the finish.

The 440 was won in 48.8 s and the 100 in 10.2 s, decidedly above the best performances of which Lightbody and Smith are capable. In the half-mile, Wethered of Oxford set a new meet record in 1 m. 52.4 s.