991 Register, Contribute $1,675; Close to 2,000 Expected Today

Registration Early This Morning Advised by Dean Phelps to Avoid Crowding

Eight hundred and eighty-seven upperclassmen and four freshmen registered Saturday morning in Memorial Hall, swelling the total registration figure to 1,890, and raising the number of first year men to 903.

This leaves nearly 2,000 undergraduates yet unregistered, and these are expected in Cambridge today along with 4,000 more graduate students, making a probable grand total of 8,500 members of the University.

Pledge $1675

Contributions to the Student Council Fund Saturday totaled $1,675 in pledges and cash from upperclassmen.

The Council is hoping to raise $10,000, but if the amount is to reach that figure, the remaining upperclassman have to subscribe more heavily than those who registered on Saturday. Making up about one-fourth of the college, they contributed only about one-sixth of the goal, Phil Neal '40, president of the Student Council, pointed out last night.

Pledges to date, including the freshmen, have reached $2124 from 530 students, while 701 have contributed $2547.75 in cash.

Freshmen Hear Hanford

At a meeting of the class of '43 on Saturday morning, Dean Hanford gave the newcomers a number of tips on arranging their schedules and determining their fields. He advised them not to overload themselves, as under the new system for English A, only four courses are required in the first year.

Other speakers were Keyes DeW. Metcalf, director of the College Library, and Delmar Leighton '19, Dean of Freshmen.

Reginald H. Phelps '30, Registrar of the College, in a statement last night, mentioned that most of the Monday registrations in former years have come between 10 and 12 o'clock in the morning, and advised early registration to avoid crowds and to speed up the process of getting through Memorial Hall.