COUNCIL SANCTIONS PLAN TO SOLICIT STUDENTS IN COMMUNITY FUND DRIVE

FACULTY AND EMPLOYEES GIVEN CHANCE TO DONATE

By a vote of the Student Council, a plan has been approved for facilitating voluntary contributions by students to the Greater Boston Community Fund Campaign which starts today.

With the consent of the Student Council, Stanley C. Salmen '36, Secretary to the Committee on the Supervision of Students, has been chosen by Edmund P. Learned, associate professor of Marketing and chairman of the Harvard unit for the Fund, to organize the collection among the students.

Council Makes Contribution

The letter from the council to Salmen, through which it announced its approval of the plan, stated that, "Although the Council voted to make a contribution of $600 on behalf of the student body from its own funds, it recognizes that, because of the exceptional importance of the Community Fund, individuals who wish to make additional gifts should have every opportunity to do so."

"In view of its own drive and contributions," the letter continued, "the Council does not feel it can actively endorse the campaign by asking students to contribute, and it wishes to stress that the appeal should be on an entirely voluntary basis. Despite these qualifications which it feels it must make, the Council is wholeheartedly in sympathy with the campaign".

The Council further recommended that the plan adopted last year of having student representatives distribute pledge cards and receive contributions be continued. It also sanctioned the placing of boxes in the dining halls and on the news stands for receiving pledges.

Jerome C. Greene '96, secretary to the Corporation, was named Chairman of the School and College Group in the drive for a second time. The Harvard unit is divided into the faculty group under Learned, the employee's group under William P. Bunyan and Dorothy C. Wilkins, both of the personnel department, and the student's group under Salmen.

To get an early start, Learned mailed out letters to employees and members of the faculty on last Wednesday. He said, "It is the aim of the organization to give everyone connected with the University a chance to contribute. I believe that the faculty, employees, and students will make a substantial free will contribution exceeding the total of last year".

To facilitate the contributions of faculty and employees the Corporation voted that payroll deductions will be allowed to cover the amount of the donation where such an arrangement is desired.

Proceeds of the Community Fund drive go to 175 charities carrying on work in Boston, Dedham, Watertown, Cambridge, Lexington, Winchester, Belment, and Needham. Over $20,000 were collected by the Harvard unit in the Campaign last year