NATIONAL AWARDS FOR SCHOLARSHIP TO BE ANNOUNCED

College Gives Scholarships to Men of Any Financial Circumstances in Non-Eastern Areas

At least twenty-one scholarship will be awarded to deserving incoming Freshmen entering next fall from sections of the country outside the Eastern states, it was announced last night by President Conant.

Students from the Middle West, South, and Far West will receive scholarships of a maximum $1,000 each. The financial condition of families is not taken into consideration until after the awards are made, and the sums range from $100 prizes to the maximum of $1000 according to the needs of the students.

Applications for the scholarships must be in at University Hall by March 15, and the recipients will be announced in June. The students receive their awards for their Freshman year only, but if at the end of their first year they have an honor record their scholarships can be extended for three more years.

131 Have Received Aid

In the six years that the plan has been in effect, 131 students have received aid. The states and number of students who have received National Scholarships are: California 8, Illinois 19, Indiana 12, Iowa 5, Kansas 2, Kentucky 5, Louisiana 1, Michigan 6, Minnasota 13.

Other states who have sent National Scholars included: Missouri 8, Nebraska 3, New Mexico 4, Ohio 28, Oregon 5, Tennessee 2, Washington 4, and Wisconsin 6.

Of the 34 National Scholarships awarded to last year's Freshmen, 1/2 went to boys from communities of less than 50,000, three from towns between 3,000 and 10,000, and five from towns of less than 3,000. Three of the recipients lived on farms. Half of the awards went to boys from families with incomes of less than $3,000.

The students are chosen by their scholastic records in school and through personal interviews with members of district Harvard Clubs and Deans of the College. Last year the number of states from which students were chosen was increased to seventeen with the addition of Kansas and Nebraska.