ENGLISH MORALE PREPARED FOR LONG FIGHT AHEAD

Proctor Escapes War Perils, Says British "Tough Bunch"

"The English took the start of the was much easier than we did," was the comment yesterday of Ray S. Cline, '39 recently appointed proctor in Weld Hall who studied at Balliol College, Oxford last year.

Cline, who eluded the State Department by flying to Canada and booking passage on a Dutch boat the day before war broke out, was the only American holding a fellowship to reach England. His ship, loaded with contraband, heard an S. O. S. every day of the trip and was stopped by the British Navy for inspection the day of the Athenia disaster. Steering a zig-zag course across the Atlantic, the Dutch boat almost met disaster by following a Belgian ship in the English Channel. The Belgian ship, a half hour ahead on the same course, struck a mine off Plymouth and was blown to bits.

Saw No Bombings

In England, Cline saw no bombings, but plenty of preparation for Hitler's total war with trenches in London and barbed wire around Whitehall. After a six weeks' bicycle tour of England, Cline summed up his impressions: "No shrapnel in my hair, I was very disappointed as a matter of fact."

"In the beginning the English did not think the Germans would put up a fight. They discussed what the settlement was going to be and there was much talk about a federal union of Europe," Cline explained. But these ideas proved to be only "the pious hope of the time."

"Much has since gone under the bridge and now there is too much bitterness. The English are feeling, as in the last war, that the Germans are their mortal enemies."

Cline was impressed by the British character and described the English as "a tough bunch to lick."

"England is a polite nation and they have a sincere regret for war. There was no flag waving at first but once aroused they are the hardest people in the world to beat."

Will Not Stop Fighting

Although the English have an income tax of 42 per cent, Cline pointed out, they were complaining that the government should do more for preparation even if it meant a further increase in taxes. The English would not stop fighting even if they were bombed out of London.

The English would like the United States to declare war on Germany for moral support, but what they really want from us, according to Cline, is financial and material aid of the sort we have been recently giving them.

Cline noticed that the German blockade had not affected the food situation in England and that rationing applied only to sugar, butter, bacon, and ham to prevent a shortage in case of crisis in the future. Plenty of all foods could always be obtained without a ration card in restaurants.

No Volunteers

Young men are not allowed to volunteer in the British Army because the enrollment is entirely on the conscription basis so that students will not leave school nor workers their jobs unless necessary.

Cline has received letters from England since his return in June and according to them the English are even more determined than ever. They have apparently adopted themselves to a life at war, and are prepared to continue the fight for some time to come.