PURITANS TOP LEVERETT, 6-0

Kirkland and Dunster Elevens In 6-6 Deadlock Yesterday

House football produced two more close battles yesterday when Winthrop eked out a 6 to 0 win over Leverett, and Kirkland and Dunster left the field all tied up at 6 and 6.

Gaining ground at will in midfield, the Puritans begged down more than once in the shadow of the Leverett goal post, and were almost shut out by the game Hunny eleven. With less than a minute to go near the end of the game Ralph Davenport snagged a pass from Jack Carpenter and was downed on the oneyard line. On fourth down Carpenter plunged over for the score.

Winthrop Again Has Good Team

Carpenter and Johnny Lowell, outstanding Puritan linesman, sparked their team to eight first downs to none for Leverett, but, led by Irving Fried, stellar guard, the Bunny line repeatedly tamed the Puritan backs when they threatened to score.

Kirkland and Dunster smashed back and forth in the first half with Kirkland's heavy line stopping their opponents' small backfield at every turn. Johnny Addington, Deacon fullback, was the only real offensive strength Kirkland could produce to compete with George Varn, Dunster halfback, who ran thirty-two yards for the longest run of the game.

Winick Scores for Dunster

Then suddenly Al Winick intercepted one of Jack Eberle's passes early in the second half, and outran the whole Kirkland team to score standing up. Tommy Eliot's place kick fell short of the uprights, leaving the score 6 to 0.

In retaliation after the kickoff, the Deacons started pushing towards the Funster goal with Addington and Charlie Griffith doing most of the ball carrying, but it took Eberle's passing arm to get past the stubborn Dunster line. Massie finally gathered one of his offerings in the end to knot the score.