Split Keeps HSU From Joining Walkout Called By National Organization on Over 100 Campus

Called Protest Against Increasing "Hysterilizing Militarization"

Because of internal dissension over policy the Harvard Chapter of the Student Union did not join the walkout of over 100,000 students on 110 campuses staged throughout the country yesterday by the National organization in protest against militarization.

Split practically evenly over the question of disassociation with the ASU, the Student Union here is temporarily here de combat until the realignment is completed following tabulation of the referendum now under way.

Staged at noon yesterday the protest was directed at the increasing tendency toward complete and total participation in the war and at the drive for "hysterllizing militarization of the American school system."

Herbert Witt, national executive secretary of the Union, said concerning the Walkout, "the decisive hour for American undergraduates is not approaching--it is here." In his call he specifically stigmatized as efforts to involve the United States in war the plan to train Canadian pilots on American soil, the proposed sale of "flying fortresses," and the recent dispatch of fifty naval destroyers for combat service in England.

War moves on the campus cited include numerous incidents of administrative reprisals against critics of the national defense program, the institution of compulsory ROTC units, the military service pledge now required of C. A. A. students, and curtailment of the curriculum.

The universal reticence of New England Chapters in joining the Walkout is caused by splits similar to that now in progress here. It points to the difference in attitude towards the war between the solidly non-interventionist mid West, South and West and the interventionist East.

Resignation of chapter presidents in protest to the Union's anti-Roosevelt and anti-New Deal stand, the same grounds as those on which Gotlfeb resigned from the HSU presidency on Monday, took place at North Carolina and Vassar.