HARLOW'S ELEVEN "HIT HARD" ADMITS HARMON AFTER GAINING 123 YARDS

Lauds Defensive Play of Peabody Claims Gophers Team to Beat

"That Harvard team hits hard--they were smacking in there all the time," commented Michigan's one-man team, Tom Harmon, as he came dripping out of the shower after Saturday's contest.

And he ought to know! The Hoosier Hammer, who stands an even six feet and displays the perfect build of a Greek statue when stripped of his football paraphernalia, carried the ball officially on 21 of the Maize and Blue plays. He gained a total of 123 yards, averaging 5.85 yards every time he carried the oval.

Harmon's Off Day

For an ordinary back an average of over five yards per try would be spectacular, but for Harmon, who averaged 6.8 yards on every play last year it was a bad day! In fact he lost a total of 18 yards on running plays Saturday and never broke loose for any long runs-- a tribute to the Harlow defenses.

"In particular I would like to praise the work of Captain Joe Gardella in the backfield and Chub Peabody in the line. The lien rushed us on passes so that we couldn't get our aerial attack going," asserted the Michigan candidate for the back-of-the-year honors.

Actually Harvard's pass defense made Harmon's heaving look only ordinary. He threw 16 passes but completed only five; he failed to complete seven and had four intercepted. The first of these tosses was called good because of interference. His boots on the kickoffs were above average, four of them totalling 221 yards for an average of 55 yards apiece.

Harvard was a much harder team to beat than was California, according to Harmon, but as for Michigan State--"They have a very strong squad." Minnesota will be the team to beat for the Big Ten title according to the Glary ghost.