52 TO FOLLOW GOTTLIEB IN H.S.U. SPLIT

Will Found Harvard Liberal League, Support Roosvelt

The split in the Student Union was finally consummated last night as Alan Gottlieb '41 led 52 of his full aid adherents away from the strict non-interventionist faction to form the Harvard Liberal Union. More than 25 others are expected to follow during the next two days.

The action was taken in the form of a manifesto signed by the seceding members after bitter debate ended in a stalemate. The minority group in the Student Union headed by Robert Stange '41 will probably number between 50 to 75. It will remain affiliated with the national organization, will continue to publish the Progressive, and will be the official Student Union organ in college.

Favors Reelection of Roosevelt

The new group will meet in the Kirkland House Common Room on Sunday night to adopt a program and elect officers. It will base its platform on the two main tenets it has supported throughout the controversy, the reelection of President Roosevelt and the sending of aid to Britain and China in their fight against fascism.

In addition they will support "the maintenance of a forward moving American democracy whose civil liberties and social gains must be extended as well as preserved in a program of national defense" and "the building up of hemispherical solidarity through a good neighbor policy of cooperation and assistance. In these beliefs the Marx-Stange faction concur.

Chief reason for the secession was the realization that it was absolutely impossible to keep the Union together. Although this was known at the meeting on October 8th, the vote solidified sentiment.

It would have required a two-thirds majority for the Gottlieb group, if they had stayed in the Union, to sever connections with the national organization and thus give foundation to their policy. This would never have been possible with an oposition of seven on the executive committee and an almost even split on the floor.