C. A. A. ENROLLMENT COMPLETE UNTIL COURSE NEXT SUMMER, BOLLAY SAYS

Ground School For 55 in First Half Year Begun; 60 Fly as Well

There will be no further opportunity for those interested in learning how to fly to take one of the C. A. A. courses at Harvard this year unless they are "particularly interested" and sign up immediately. William Bollay instructor in the course, stated yesterday. In no case will any new students be admitted to the advanced training course until next summer.

Finding that so many students were interested in taking either the primary or secondary C. A. A. course, the authorities have divided it into two major parts--those who are taking both the ground school and flying during the first half year, and those who will complete only the ground school the first half year and will fulfill the flying requirements during the second semester.

Ground School Cut Down

The ground school students who have survived until mid-years will be cut down to a number divisible by ten for convenience of records before beginning to fly after mid-years. No ground school will be given after the first half year.

For these signed up in the regular half-year course, flying and ground school is already well under way. Only one group of ten, supposed to fly at the east Boston airport, has been held up. Commercial airlines complained because of the risk to mainliners, and license to proceed with the training there was issued only after a two weeks delay.

Training at smaller airports is the new policy of the C. A. A. group at Harvard. Several units of ten have been assigned to train at the Denison airport and at the Squantum Naval Base in Quincy.

Flying 50 or 60 horse power Cubs or Taylorcraft, students in the primary course have begun training in half-hour intervals. After the solo, which is usually permitted after eight hours of dual instruction, students will fly in three-quarter hour periods for the next three hours, when they will begin to fly for an hour at a time until the course is completed.

Fly Six Days a Week

at present both primary and secondary students are flying six days a week, the latter using sleek 220 horse power Wacos. Thirty-five hours of flying is the minimum in the primary training course and students in the secondary will build up 40 beginning with periods of an hour. Acrobatic flying will receive the greatest emphasis.

Two three-hour sessions of lecturing a week is the prescribed dose for primary students under the intensified training program requiring but a half instead of a full year as in 1939-40. Secondary students must attend four two-hour lectures a week.

In all 115 students are participating in the C. A. A. program. Of these 50 primary and ten secondary students are flying now, while 55 others must wait until after the first semester when their ground school work is completed.