SULLIVAN, LYNCH RALLY PANS PLAN E

Debate Between Landis and Anti-Plan E Speaker Fall Through

Pulling a Notre Dame government professor, E.A. Hermens, out of their strategy bag, the anti-Plan E forces led by Councilor Michael A. Sullivan, and Daniel J. Lynch put on a full-dressed rally against the proposed proportional-representation, city-manager form of government in the auditorium of the Latin School last night.

After a flurry of letters lasting all week, plans fell through when Dean Landis refused to debate Professor Hermens unless Mayor Lyons also participated. The Mayor was willing to appear in a theoretical discussion of proportional representation, but he declined to speak against Dean Landis on the need for a city manager here.

Close to 500 local voters gathered at the school auditorium last night to hear Professor Hermen's attack against P. R. as "the best life insurance for machine voting that any one ever invented," and as "an ineffective instrument of majority rule."

A German refugee who received his hatred of P. R. from the Weimar Republic's list system, under which people voted for parties rather than men as in other forms of P. R., Professor Hermens has spent much of his time since he entered this country fighting proposals for P. R. in New York and other cities.