THE BULLETIN'S CALL TO ARMS

The Alumni Bulletin in its first issue of the year has declared a state of emergency, in which "all talk which has no outlet in performance is vain." It has called for a "direct contribution to the national security from every one of 8,000 men now in attendance at Harvard." This is not the first time Americans have heard such a call. The President of the United States, seven long years ago, declared a state of emergency, and called for united action against the economic and social ills that afflicted "one-third of a nation." Back in those days, if memory serves correctly, many Harvard Alumni did not see it that way. Harvard did not enlist in that war with unanimity. Many thought that it was much more important to balance the budget.

Now they don't think so much of the budget. They prefer not to talk things like that any more. In fact, they prefer not to talk at all, unless it is about ways to get more planes, tanks, ships, and men. People like this are asking for the leadership of America, and incidentally, of Harvard. For the most part, they are getting it.

These zealous men, to whose activities the Bulletin devotes nearly all its pages, are challenging undergraduates to do something. The mere search for "Veritas" is no longer enough. They have a nobler mission for this University to fulfill. But America must not let its universities slacken in their ancient duty of free thought and discussion. They have had a lot to do with building the American way of life, not just as symbols or figureheads, but through real, practical leadership. Of all times, this is the most dangerous to try to regiment them.

Many of the same persons who refuse to enlist in the war to save democracy by peaceful means are now attacking freedom of discussion in our universities. Two such offences are enough to raise serious suspicion. We may put our confidence in the ability of these men to arm the nation, but we will never let them seize the sole right to speak, think, and act for American democracy.