Tom Eliot Canvasses For Seat In Congress

Waging his second campaign for election as U. S. representative from this district, Thomas H. Eliot '28 began door to door canvassing yesterday in an uphill fight to unseat his Republican opponent, Representative Robert Luce.

A former government instructor here and one-time assistant managing editor of the CRIMSON, Eliot has endorsed most of the New Deal policies. "The issue in this district is an old one of progressivism against reactions," he said in an interview yesterday, when he characterized his opponent as "almost a blind 'no' man" for voting against most all of the liberal legislation passed in recent years.

Eliot has served in Washington as assistant solicitor in the Labor Department, as a counsel of the President's Committee on Economic Security, which drafted the Social Security Acts, and later as regional director here of the Wages and Hours Commission.

Defeated by less than 2,000 votes in 1938 when he led the Democratic ticket, he hopes to gain enough independent support to win in this normally Republican district.

Although no "Eliot Club" has been formed in the University, several undergraduates and a group of law students headed by James Lanigan '39 have joined his organization and are helping him in his campaign.