COUNCIL SETS UP PLANS FOR BOOKS ON WAR

Members Approve Report on Education, '43 Appointees

Final plans for the assembling of a group of authoritative books on the present war have been drawn up by the Student Council, it was announced last night by Langdon P. Marvin, Jr. '41, who said that all that remains now is to raise funds for the project.

At the same time he made public the confirmation of recent Sophomore appointees for Freshman affairs, and the vote of the Council members to accept the Education Report compiled last spring.

All Angles on War

In regard to the book plan, Marvin said, "The Student Council is sponsoring an educational plan which we believe is to the interest of all students. About 70 books on the war, selected by officials of Widener Library so as to include much valuable source material and all points of view on the war, are to be placed in the libraries of all the Houses and of all educational centers."

The total cost will be about $2500, he estimated, which sum the Council and the University hope to raise through contributions from alumni.

Education Approval Unanimous

Following the report of Spencer A. Klaw '41, chairman of the Educational Committee, the Councilmen unanimously approved the principles outlined in the Education Report and expressed the hope that the Faculty would take action along the lines recommended, which include the establishing of several compulsory broad introductory courses for Freshmen.

The appointments, also approved by a unanimous vote, installed George E. Putnam, Jr. '43, as Sophomore Advisor for Freshman Affairs, and John Richardson, Jr. '43, as Sophomore in charge of Freshman Intramural Athletics.