Crimson Team Braces For Storm of Tiger Aerials

Captain Burwell Nosed Out By Bird; Yardlings Trail

Coach Jaakko Mikkola's Varsity hill and dalers yesterday defeated Yale, 27 to 29, but lost to a fighting Princeton aggregation, 29 to 26, placing second in the annual triangular affair over a 5.1 mile course at Middlesex Fells.

The favored Crimson harriers missed only one point of capturing the meet, as several men were hampered by stitches.

Sophomore Bill Bird of the Blue won first place honors in covering the course in 27 minutes, 22 seconds, leading Harvard's Captain Lang Burwell by more than 100 yards. Mort Rehm was the first Princeton man as he took third place in 27:43, three seconds behind Burwell.

Other Crimson finishers were Bob McLoughlin in fifth place; Kay Rogers, tenth; Joe Scott, eleventh; Eddie Cook, fourteenth; and Bob Burns, fifteenth.

Following McLoughlin was Shapleigh of Yale, who finished fifth; Princeton's Dave Little, son of the Master of Adams House, sixth; his teammate Kip next; Yale's Main eighth; and Bragdon of the Orange and Black ninth, nosing out the next Crimson man, Kay Rogers.

Yale's Bird, who did not run cross country last year and turned in only a fair time of 10:36 in winning the Harvard-Yale Freshman two mile race last spring, has been the consistent star of the New Haven runners this fall.

In the Freshman division, Yale, led by its star LeRoy Schwartzkopf, defeated Princeton, 28 to 30, and swamped the Yardlings, 23 to 32 Crimson Captain Bill Palson finished third, behind Yale's Castle.

The next Harvard runner was Tim Coggeshall, who was followed by six Tigers in succession. Schwartzkopf, in winning this 2.9 mile race, finished in the creditable time of 15:16.6, over a quarter of a mile ahead of his nearest rival.

Captain Burwell and his teammates will have a chance to avenge yesterday's results next Saturday at the Heptagonals in New York.