CONANT AT YALE AIRS DEFENSE VIEWS

Declares Permanent Conscription Plan Unnecessary at Present Time

Following is a reprint of an article which appeared in the "Yale Daily News" of December 6, 1940:

President James Bryant Conant of Harvard University clearly outlined what he thinks should be the attitude each college student should have in defense of America in a News interview last night.

Dr. Conant said there is one question that each and every American must decide before anything constructive in the way of defense can be accomplished, "Is the American people ready to decide that the Axis powers must be defeated," He added, "Unless the American people is ready to answer that question, everything in our defense will remain vague and fuzzy."

Students' Role is Definite

Answering the question of the college student's part in America's defense, Dr. Conant stated that every student who is unable to enroll in the R. O. T. C., the Naval R. O. T. C., or the C. A. A., should continue without interruption in his academic work unless he is called for service. Everyone should be wide awake to America's problem. Supporting the policy of all aid to Britain necessary to defeat the Axis, the Harvard president did not feel that this policy warranted entrance into the war at this time.

In regard to adopting the conscription plan of Yale's President Seymour Dr. Conant said he didn't think world conditions were definite enough to demand a permanent compulsory service. He feels that if such measures become necessary, Dr. Seymour's suggestion is one of the best to adopt.