FIVE POUNCES ON WESLEYAN

Hoopsters Win Again, 44-23 Undefeated Yardlings Lose

By A.edward Rowse

Friday the thirteenth and the serapy undergoing Crimson basketball team proved too much for the Wesleyan Cardinals last night as the Feslermen swamped the visitors 44 to 23 in the Indoor Athletic Building. In a preliminary contest, the Yardlings undefeated record war marred by Tufts Junior Varsity 33 to 32.

In the Varsity slaughter, every man except three out of the squad of 15 participated. Ed Buckley, with 15 points, and Bud Finegan with 14, were the top scorers of the evening. Kay led the Wesleyan attack with eight points.

Although favored to repeat last year's win over practically the same Harvard team, the taller, but inaccurate Wesleyan team spent most of the first period trying to get possession of the ball while the Crimson nonchalantly piled up an early 8 to 0 lead.

Ed Buckley who had his eye on the basket from start to finish handed his team its lead with two quick field goals before most of the spectators had taken their seats. From then on, Harvard monopolized possession of the ball until the score stood 17 to 5 at the end of the half.

The second half, which saw the game become closer, was marked especially by the work of sharpshooter Bud Finegan. Time and again he stole the ball from scrimmages under the Wesleyan hoop to add nine points to his personal total. Buckley ended the game the same way he started it, with two baskets just before the final whistle.

Throughout the contest, the alert Crimson forwards, Joe Romane, Captain Franny Simpson, and Bill Webber succeeded in keeping the Lashmen on their heels. Harvard's zone defense system, which scored so well against M.I.T. and Brown had another good night, keeping the high scoring co-captain duet of Bill Sinnamon and Jack Kay so far away that they had few close-up shots.

In the see-saw Freshman game against Tufts, a promising Crimson rally was nipped in the last minute with a long, looping basket by Everett Kimball.