VARSITY MERMEN FAVORED TO TROUNCE ALUMNI IN SEASON'S OPENER TONIGHT

Powers, Cutler Meet In Featured 220 Race; Varsity is Relay Choice

By Donald Peddle

Hal Ulen's Varsity mermen are strong favorites to open their season with a victory over the star-studded but poorly balanced Alumni delegation in the indoor Athletic Building Pool tonight at 8 o'clock. Free-style strength of the two squads seems to be about even, but the Varsity should roll up a big edge in the specially events.

The 220 will be the feature race of the evening, with Captain Frannie Powers and rookie Hun Curwen meeting the challenge of Rick Cutler, 1939 Crimson tank leader, Cutler has been swimming daily in the M. T. T. and Harvard pools, but Powers is in shape for the battle of his life.

The Alumni have no backstroker to keep up with Bill Drucker or Dick Harris for that matter, so both the medley and the backstroke events should go to the Varsity. In the breast stroke Varsity swimmers Max Krans and Reg Wilcox will be pushed to the limit by Grog Jameson.

Coach Union's entries in the 50 and 100 will come from a group consisting of Frannie Powers, Lennio Stoweil, Ed McNitt, and Dave Stearns. The grads will counter with Charley Hutter, Don Barker, Rick Cutler, and George Scott. The total points involved in these two races will probably be split quite evenly, but the Varsity has a destined advantage in the final relay. There will not be a 440, so Bus Curwon could team up with Powers, Stowell, and a fourth man to form a relay quartet which the Alumni would have a hard time equaling.