GRADUATION, PROBATION ARE FELT AS HODDERMEN SHAPE UP

Prennie Willetts Leads Six In First Game on Wednesday

By John C. Buijard

After three and a half weeks of practice Coach Clark Hodder's hockey team is finally rounding into shape for its first game against Northeastern Wednesday night. Graduation and probation have left their areas, but if injuries do not hit the squad too hard, the six which represents the Crimson this year should not do too badly.

Prennie Willetts captains the team, and with him there are nine other men who won their II against Yale last March. Of these, however, two are new unable to play because of scholastic difficulties, thus cutting down to eight the number of experienced operatives upon which Hodder can rely.

To add to Hodder's woes, last year's Freshman team is not intact. Of the first line of the 1943 sextet, two men are on pro, and the other is no longer in college.

Effective Combinations Uncertain

So far this year Hodder has been experimenting in determining the individual potentialities of the men with whom he will work, but he has yet to see how they will fit together. His most serious need is that of centers. Dave Eaton and Warren Winslow, who contered the first two lines last year, have graduated, and Bob Cox, who spear-headed the third trio, is at present on pro, although expected off at midyears.

Until competent centers can be developed, the Crimson sextet can not be expected to run into high scoring figures, but it is Hodder's hope that the team will parallel this year's football eleven in the course of running through its schedule.

While there are plenty of games between now and midyears, all the important league contests come after the examination period, and by that tiem it is hoped that the offensive potentialities of the team will be realized.

Fenn Leads Goalies

For the position of goalie there is at present a three cornered battle raging. Abbot Fenn, who received his baptism under fire last year in the Yale series when Vint Freedley was injured, seems to be the leading competitor, but Goody Harding, who captained the 1943 six, and Bob Kayser, who has seen considerable Jayvee experience, will probably see action in the Northeastern game.

Sherm Gray, who has alternated between his hockey duties and the Charles River, where he captains this year's crew, will start at one defense post, and the other one will probably be filled by George Gebelein, a Sophomore. Bill Stedman, Alex Stone, and Greeley Summers may all be counted on to back up these starting defense men.

Willetts at left wing, George Duane at center, and Stacy Hulse on the right wing, compose Hodder's first forward line. The second is at present composed of Caleb Loring, Gordie McGrath, and Bill Claflin, George Dreher, Dick Noone, and Demi Lloyd, will probably combine to form the third. Burgie Ayres, who has not had much practice because of his gridiron activities, may change those lineups later on, as Hodder is planning to use him to center one of the forward walls, but at present he needs conditioning.