STUDENTS EMPLOY TALENTS IN HOLYDAY ENTERTAINING

Self-supporting Performers Act As Lecturers, Clowns

Students here who earn their way through college by performing as clowns, magicians, palm-readers, musicians, and lectures are getting ready for their busiest period, the Student Employment Office disclosed today.

Clubs, social groups and private households take off during the Christmas holidays for the year's most strenuous period of entertaining, ending with a heavy call for lecturers during March, it was reported by Mrs. Thurlow W. Barnes, fo the Harvard staff, who serves as booking agent for the student entertainers.

150 Men Registered

Last year through the bureau some 328 entertainment jobs were secured for the student performers, earning about $5,000 toward their college expenses. At present some 150 men are registered with the entertainment bureau.

The available talents range from a jokester butler who will keep a party alive by putting his thumb in the soup, to a concert 'cellist.

There are a clown who has worked several summers with a circus, a cowboy rope spinner, a handwriting expert, two palmists, and two complete puppet shown.

In the lecture line the students will talk or show movies about American Indians, Mexico, snakes, Chinese current events, the fall of France, "The American Indian Peyote Cult," and the art of listening to music.

One of the boys most in demand has made a speciality of calling old fashioned square dances.

There are four jazz bands, a string quartet, several piano teams, and specialists on the guitar, accordion, cello, and violin. Also available are several vocalists and a vocal quartet.