SWIMMING TEAM DEPENDS ON SOPHOMORES FOR NEW SPARK

Best Pre-Season Events

By Donald Peddle

Hal Ulen lost a small but effective group of point-getting mermen by graduation last June and is forced to look high and low for suitable replacements. Varsity squad holdovers will help and a few extionse swimmers are useful, but most of the new strength must come from the up-and-coming Sophomore delegation.

Bus Curwen, Bill Drucker, Show McCutcheon, Sanday Houston, Brad Patterson, Pete Robinson, and Frank German are the standent second-year men trying to help plug the gap left by the departure of Rick Cutler, Jim Curwen, George Dana, Ed Hewitt, and Jack Waldron.

Veteran Delegation

Swimmers like Captain Frannie Powers, Lonnie Stowell, Art Bosworth, Dick Harris, Dave Stearns, Roger Willcox, Bob White, and Max Kraus have proved their worth. They can form a pretty fair swimming team all by themselves, but some of the load must be shouldered by newcomers if Harvard is to maintain its high position in the takn world.

If Art Bosworth ever manages to round into 1939 form, the backstroke division will be the strongest one on the squad. Bill Drucker, Dick Harris, and possibly Al Mathis will give him plenty of support in the 150-yard dorsal race. In addition, Bosworth could lend a helping hand in the free-style events.

Max Kraus, Sandy Houston, and Roger Willcox are the breast-strokers, and hero the picture is not quite so rosy. Houston is at his best for a 100 yards, not in the long 200-yard puli. Roger Willcox was improving at the end of last year and may continue to do so, but the butterfly division is still a starless one. Bob White tried his hand at breast-stroking last year and may return to the tank if others fail to improve as the season gets under way. White is shaping up as a good free-style prospect and will probably be allowed to develop as a 100 man.

Few Good Sprinters

Harvard is rather weak in the sprints, having only Captain Frannie Powers, Lonnie Stowell, and Dave Stearns as Varsity holdovers. Pete Robinson, Bob Sceery, Tom Godfrey, Walt Downing and Tom Shrewsbury may help out the situation somewhat, but it will take time to bring most of them up to Eastern intercollegiate League standards. IIf none of them make the grade, the jobs may be appropriated by the above-mentioned white or backstroker Dick Harris.

Captain Powers and Bus Curwen, prize Sophomore, will make a fine 220 team, and Curwen will probably double in the 440. Another Sophomore, Frank Gorman, stands a good chance of being his running mate in the quarter. Powers would thus be free to team with Lonnie Stowell in the 100 leaving Dave Stearns and a question mark in the 50.

Shaw McCutcheon and Brad Patterson will give Harvard good diving strength. Both men are relatively inexperienced and should continue to improve rapidly.

The first meet of the year is with the Alumni in the Indoor Athletic Building pool on December 14, followed by the first intercollegiate meet on December 18 with M.I.T. in the new Tech pool.