ADVOCATE TAKES 5 MONTHLY MEMBERS

MONTHLY HEAD QUITS

After a meeting yesterday the Advocate announced the election of five former members of the Monthly, rival literary publication. The Advocate through Nelson R. Gidding '41, secretary, denied that the Board had any intentions of sabotaging the Monthly by taking over the bulk of its membership, while at the same time Pierre Amyiot '41, speaking for the Monthly, denied any rumors of a split in the ranks.

"We invited the five Monthly editors to become literary associates of the Advocate when we heard that the Monthly was going to suspend publication because of financial troubles. We felt that everyone would benefit if men who were capable of writing well had a means to publish regularly," Gidding said.

Cranston Jones '40, who resigned as President of the Monthly, did not wish to comment on the situation, as he had "retired." The reorganization, however, left Pierre Amyiot and D. J. Kennedy '42 as the only active officers of the Monthly staff.

Amyiot said last night that the Monthly was not going to stop publication because of the loss of the five editors, "We are going right ahead with plans for our next issue as if nothing had happened. We have the money and material to publish," Amyiot said.

Amyiot felt that there was not any split on the Monthly, but rather that the five editors left what they had mistaken for "a sinking ship." These who went over to the Advocate were: William Abrahams, John Felker, Harry Feltenstein, Sloan Wilson, and Cornelius Ayer Wood, Jr.