BASKETBALL TEAM SHADES PENN 47-45; SWIMMERS OVERWHELM QUAKERS 62-13

Down Exeter 34-32 to Maintain Undefeated Record; Curwen, McCutcheon Tally

By Donald Peddle

Hal Ulen's Varsity swimmers returned to Cambridge yesterday with their eighth and ninth consecutive dual meet victories in tow. The latest was an easy 62 to 13 conquest of the hapless Penn mermen in Hutchinson Pool Saturday, the fourth straight league win for the Ulenmen.

The Crimson tankers carried off eight out of nine possible firsts against the Quakers, whose only consolation was Levick Tolan's 1:43 victory in the 150-yard backstroke over Harvard's highly favored Art Bosworth. It was simply a case of Bosworth holding back his sprint too long and permitting Tolan to sneak off with first-place honors in a time which the Crimson dorsal ace could better on almost any occasion he desired. Dick Harris came through with a third.

Cutler Doubles

Eric Cutler got his usual daily double in the 220 and 440, taking the events in 2:17 and 5:15. Frannie Powers finished on Cutler's heels in the 220 and copped another second in the 100 behind Jim Curwen, whose time was 53.8. Curwen also ran away with the 50, with Dave Stearns in the runner-up spot.

George Dana took the high board dive with 84.2 points as Chet Sagenkahn got a third behind Logan of Penn. Point totals were low for all the divers Saturday night so the performance of the Crimson springboard pair was not too disappointing.

Jack Waldron and Max Kraus had an easy time of it in the breastroke, walking off with a first and second in the comparatively slow 2:42.8 clocking. Another Harvard second place winner was Ed Hewitt in the 440. Ned Goldwasser, Tom Godfrey, Tom Shrewsbury, and Dave Van Vort captured the 440 relay in 3:51.1 to wind up the evening's festivities.

Yardlings Win

Pete Peterson's undefeated Yardling swimmers took Exeter Academy into camp Saturday afternoon in the local pool, 34 to 32, in a meet featured by Bus Curwen's 55.9 century victory and Shaw McCutcheon and Bill Patterson's one-two finish in the dive.

The eight points in the dive clinched the meet for the Crimson Freshmen, and Coach Peterson could afford to throw the final medley and relay, making the final score close. Sandy Houston took his usual first in the breastroke in 1:10.1, Bob German walked away with the 200 in 2:14.4, and Bill Drucker was clocked in about 1:06 in his 100-yard dorsal effort.