SQUASH CHAMPIONSHIP GOES TO CANAVARRO

Captain Gets Intercollegiate Crown by Trimming Pettit of Princeton at Amherst

Captain Kim Canavarro of Harvard walked away with the 1940 National Intercollegiate squash racquets, championship held at Amherst over the weekend by trimming Walter Pettit of Princeton in the finals in straight games, 18-16, 16-13, 15-9.

It was Pettit, however, who provided the major upset of the tournament by eliminating his teammate and last year's titleholder, Stan Pearson, in a closely contested five game battle. Pettit won Saturday morning over Pearson, 15-13, 15-16, 9-15, 15-10, 15-13, and earned the right to meet Canavarro in the finals.

From the semi-finals on, it was strictly a matter of Crimson versus Tiger, with Pettit, Pearson, Canavarro, and Jim Rousmaniere being the four survivors. In the other Saturday morning match, Canavarro defeated Rousmaniere, 15-10, 16-18, 18-14, 14-17, 15-8 in another outstanding bout.

In the afternoon, Canavarro's power proved too much for giant-killer Pettit, who is but in his third year of squash competition and was unseeded in the tourney at Amherst. Canavarro ran off the match in three straight games, encountering little resistance after taking two deuce affairs. His powerful serves and slugging tactics were more than Pettit could handle.