CORNELL'S HOOPSTERS TAKE FESLERMEN, 41-34

Romano Tallies 16, Buckley Eight as Harvard Rallies Fail to Catch Big Red Basketmen

ITHACA, N. Y., February 28--Fighting a losing battle all the way, the Varsity basketball team went down to defeat at the hands of a strong Cornell five here tonight by a 41 to 34 score.

The home team led all the way with the exception of a few occasions in the first half when Harvard tied the score. The Crimson rallied gamely in the second half and twice cut the Big Red's lead from seven to three points, but it was unable to keep Jim Bennett and Duke Ramsey, Cornell forwards, away from the basket for long enough to pull even again.

Romano, Ramsey Lead Scoring

Ramsey, who did all his scoring in the second half, and Joe Romano, Crimson guard, led the scoring parade with eight field goals apiece. Bennett brought up a close third with 13 points, while Ed Buckley sank four buckets for eight points and Al Vaughan, Cornell guard, totalled seven.

The game was remarkably clean as the Ithacans fouled only three times while Harvard committed seven misdemeanors. The visitors' fouls turned out to be the margin of victory, for the Cornell sharpshooters turned in a 100 per cent record in their free shooting.