Cutler Exhibits Spectacular Swimming In His Last Meet, but Elis Rob Victory

Loses 440 Photo Finish While Smashing His Own Record; Loses by Inches

By Charles N. Pollack ii

The summaries of Tuesday night's Harvard-Yale Swimming meet tell very little about what actually went on in the pool, particularly in regard to Eric Cutler's second places in the 220 and 440.

Swimming against Howie Johnson in the 220, the Crimson leader finished a yard behind the Eli, and just about equalled his Harvard pool best time of 2:13.5 which he turned in against Princeton on March 2. Unofficial timers caught Cutler in 2:13.7, a remarkable time for the eight-odd laps, and one surpassed at Harvard only by Charlie Hutler and Willie Kendall.

Outstanding Quarter Contest

But even more remarkable was Rick's performance in the 440 later in the evening. He was timed in 4:52.4, the same as Yaleman Choutean's winning time, so close was he to the Blue Sophomore at the finish rope. The race between the two was one of the closest over witnessed in the Payno Whitney Pool. At no time during the 17 1/2 laps was there more than a foot's difference between their outstretched arms. Cutler managed to maintain an influltesimal lead for the greater part of the race, but after his 16th lap turn, which was slower than usual, he lost some ground to the Yale tankman.

For, the last lap and a half, Cutler was trying to make up the inches he lost because of this, and went into his final turn without a breath--in other words, a sprint turn. The two dug water like 50-men for the last half-lap, and their leading arms came over for the final stroke together. But Choutean's hand slid under the line first, ending a superb contest in which both competitions swam their all-time fastest quarter-mile.

Revenge in E.I.L., N.C.A.A. Title Meets

Cutler will have an opportunity for revenge in the Eastern Intercollegiate League championships at Philadelphia this weekend, and should do well since he will be fresh for each event. Coach Ulen is entering him in the 220, 440, and 400 relay.

Also, Jim Curwen is to swim the 220. 100. and relay; Lennie Stowell the 100 and relay; Frannie Powers the 440, 100, or relay; Art Bosworth the 100 and relay, and George Dana the high and low-board dives. In addition to the H.A.A. authorized squad of six men, Tom Godfrey and Dave "Barrel-body" Stearns will travel to the Penn pool on their own; they will enter the 220 and 50 respectively.

On the weekend of March 29-30, the above-mentioned squad, minus Dans, will compote in the National Collegiate Athletic Association championships at New Haven, encountering the Michigan and Ohio State squads and others among the nation's best swimmers.