Yale Swimmers Gain League Title as Cutler Tops Individual Stars

Although Yale annexed team honors for the second year in a row, Harvard's captain and free styler, Eric Cutler, became the individual scoring champion of the Eastern. Intercollegiate Swimming League as the fourth annual round-robin tournament ended Tuesday with Yale outscoring Harvard, 55 to 20.

That victory clinched the crown for the Blue, but it also clinched the scoring honor for Cutler. He tallied 6 points and brought his season's total to 59, two shot of the league record set in 1937 by Charlie Hutter, also of Harvard.

Cutler took two second places against Yale, meeting defeat for the first time this season in the 220 or 440. He was beaten in the furlong by Howard Johnson and in the quarter by Rene Chouteau. His season's record, therefore, is 10 first places and 3 seconds, one of these gained in the 100-yard free style.

Curwen was Third

Runner-up to the Crimson captain in the final scoring was the Princeton junior, Ned Parke, who accounted for 50 5-12 points in the sprints and middle distances. He took 8 firsts, 2 seconds and a third and competed on one winning medley and free-style relay. Another Crimson sprinter, Jim Curwen, finished third with 48 points, while Navy's Gordon Wiley and Jim Conger, both sophomores, were fourth and fifth, respectively, with 47 1/4 and 38.