SENATORS SUPPORT A.I.L. IN BLAST AT CROMWELL

Walsh, Lodge Agree With Neutrality Organization in Condemnation of Envoy's Speech

After three-months of silence the American Independence League swung into action yesterday with a vigorous protest to "several Massachusetts Congressmen" against U. S. Ambassador James Cromwell's speech in Canada criticizing American neutrality.

Immediate responses from the Bay State's two Senators brought encouragement to A. I. L. leaders who had asked for an energetic protest against Cromwell's "pro-Ally" outburst because of "its flagrant violation of our diplomatic integrity." They had wired support of any move for the envoy's recall.

Reaches State Department

Senator David I. Walsh replied that he had submitted the protest to the Foreign Relations Committee and had entered it with the State Department, adding that he was "in full accord with your views."

"I am glad to have your views and shall bear them in mind," read a telegram from Senator Henry Cabot Lodge. "I agree with you that the speech in question is dangerous, improper, and unpatriotic. I, too, favor keeping America out of war and have vigorously contended for this policy."