Marksmen Near End of Season With Six Wins and Two Losses

Collegiate Matches at New London and New Haven Will Conclude Rifle Schedule

Holding at the present time a record of six wins and only two losses, the Rifle Club faces its three or four remaining matches with the greatest optimism. Upperclassmen form the larger part of the team, but there are sufficient Sophomores and Juniors to guarantee that next year's team will be fully as good as this one.

The team has been victorious against the Harvard Employee's team, the Coast Guard Academy, Worcester Academy, Boston University, Vermont, and in the Quadrangular meet against B. U., Norwich, and Bowdoin. The only defeats have been at the hands of the Boston Marine Corps team and Rhode Island University.

"Shoulder-to-shoulder"

Usually there are from eight to ten men representing the club in the matches. Competitions are sometimes conducted by mail when the opposing team is too far away to be encountered in person. Usually, however, the matches are held "shoulder-to-shoulder." A match has been suggested with the Christian Front by one of the gun enthusiasts, but there has been no reply as yet to the challenge.

Walter L. Hyde '41 is the President of the club, and James W. Cooper '41 is secretary. Cooper has shot for the Massachusetts Civilian team, and has represented Massachusetts in the National Rifle Matches for the past four years.

Laurence A. Davis '42 was a dead shot for the Freshmen last year, and is a promising candidate for a position among of the best shots on the team is Richard H. Goldberg '40, who has qualified for the Intercollegiate Expert rating. Joseph C. Peden, Jr. '40, is new to the club but among the regular team shooters.

Dunbar is promising

Probably the best marksman on the team is Henry F. Dunbar '42, who shoots his own specially made rifle and ammunition. With practice and experience, he may well become one of the best shots in the country. Lawrence K. Shaul '42 has had the best three-position score (kneeling, prone, and standing) so far this year.

L. Theodore Miller '41, Franklin N. Cunningham '41, and Lester R. Rusoff '40 complete the list of the first ten members of the team. All three are consistently steady and are improving rapidly.

The coach of the team is Sergeant Waldo Phinney of the Boston Marine Corps. He is one of the finest marksmen in the East, and his broad experience adds to his value as a coach, Kurt Groote of the Naval Science department and Gilman Blake, graduate student, assist in coaching the team.

The team will conclude its schedule for the year with a trip to New London, where the New England Collegiate Rifle League is having a competition, and with a trip to New Haven for the Eastern Intercollegiate matches against teams from as far south as Washington. Harvard stands a good chance of placing high up in both matches, as a successful conclusion to its second year as an organization and its first year as a minor sport.