219 WRITERS AIM FOR NIEMAN FELLOWSHIPS

CHAMBERLAIN, KROCK, SHEEAN, TO SPEAK SOON

Hoping to improve their journalistic careers with the help of a year's study here, 219 newspapermen from 39 states have entered their names as candidates for Nieman Fellowships.

The 12 or 15 successful men will be selected by the Advisory Committee on the basis of experience, intellectual depth, and promise, and will be named on or about April 11.

Chamberlain, Krock to Speak

Afternoon conferences on various subjects will be inaugurated next year, and the weekly evening dinners with important newspapers will be continued. Within the next few weeks, John Chamberlain editor of Fortune, Arthur Krock head or the Washington bureau of the New York Times, and Vincent Sheean, foreign correspondent are scheduled to talk to the Nieman Fellows.

In the first two years in which the fellowships been given, 21 newspaper reporters and editorial writers have received awards for study at the University while on leave of absence from their papers.

Study Here Ups Salaries

All American newspapermen of at least three years' experience are eligible to compete for the fellowships regardless of age or formal education. The study here has proved valuable for all of the first year's fellows, and the majority of them have received salary increases from their papers, it was stated yesterday.

While at Cambridge the Nieman Fellows are not restricted to any department of the University. They may audit any number of courses, read and study independently, and obtain tutorial advice from members of the faculty.