WANTED ONE ROOF

In their travel through the land, Thalia and Mclpomene alight at Yale, Vassar, Princeton, and Dartmouth but never at Harvard. For the Muses of Comedy and tragedy know that here the drama is a stepchild, a poor relation, unwelcome guest. Harvard extends no open arms or vast theatres to the Mummer clan; from Bernhardt to Folies Bergere girl, the reception is a cold one. Frozen out though it is, the drama child yet struggles for existence. As the snows thaw and the leafy season approaches, the HSU and the HDC alike announce their spring efforts. Each of them has chosen exceptionally interesting plays to produce, and each deserves a roof with a Harvard accent.

Theatres to be sure, cost money. A fairly large gift would be necessary to launch a Harvard theatre, and it might not even be self supporting in its early years. But the project is entitled to encouragement from the university-even financial aid. Harvard men have shown their interest in the theatre-as Lasell, Erskine, Simmons, Wellesley, etal, can testify. Pi Eta and Hasty Pudding have a traditional place. The Harvard Dramatic Club returned from a theatrical grave with their production of a few years ago of "Dog Beneath the Skin. "And the Student Union, after an exciting version of "The Cradle Will Rock," is undertaking an Odets and a MacLeish play. Surely all these excursions into the world of drama by Harvard men show that there is a real and permanent interest in the theatre at Cambridge; surely they show also that a theatre-an honest-to-goodness theatre with a real curtain-would be a good investment. There have been offers of theatres made to the Corporation before; there will probably be offers again. When they are made, the Corporation would be well-advised to turn a favorable ear. The drama doesn't thrive on frustration.