BATSMEN CHALK UP WIN OVER BENGALS

TOUGH WEEK AHEAD

The Crimson Varsity baseball team rose out of the hitting doldrums Saturday afternoon on University Field in Tigertown, pounded out 18 safeties, and rode along to an 11 to 8 victory over Princeton behind fairly effective twirling by Captain Tom Healey. The Harvard pitching ace was given an 11 to 8 lead by his mates going into the last of the eighth.

He faltered in the last two stanzas but was able to stagger through to a win. The Bengals tagged him for five runs in those last two innings, and for a time the rally assumed dangerous proportions.

The Stahlmen teed off on the offerings of Tiger twirler Dan Carmichael and blasted him from the mound in the second inning. They get two in the first and three in the second before Rowe came to the rescue. Led by Healey with four hits in five trips to the plate, the Harvard nine proceeded to make life miserable for Rowe, reaching him for 15 hits in the seven frames he tolled. He was always in hot water and was lucky to escape with as little damage as he did. Harvard salted the ball game away in the fifth and eighth with clusters of three and two runs.

This week the nine has a suicide schedule on the books. On Wednesday the alumni will appear on Soldiers Field for an informal practice game and on Friday the Big Red team from Cornell moves into town. Saturday the Crimson travels to Worcester to meet Holy Cross.