THE VAGABOND

Vag groaned, long and low. That man was speaking again. Vag, forgetting all about it for a while, had enjoyed a period of almost blissful restfulness. Now he remembered with a jolt. A huge truck missed him by the width of a peeled-off coat of paint, and from the depths of Vag's subconcious mind came a memory. The memory of a huge Oxford-voiced professor booming forth from a platform--"No more dangerous than traffic in Harvard Square." Vag wondered. Could it be that there was more to this man than his eyebrows? One couldn't tell, but perhaps it was worthwhile finding out.

Perhaps. Especially tonight, when the subject was so vital--in the real sense of the word. There were thirty-five thousand children in unoccupied France alone, and Vag knew from his camp days just how hungry kids could get. Should the United States feed them?

Professor Elliott was reputed to think we shouldn't. On the other hand quiet and precise Henry Cadbury was of a different mind. Ever since the Spanish Civil War he and the American Friends Service Committee had been directing the feeding of women and children on both sides of the lines. This evening Cadbury promised to explain his reasons.

Dynamic, eloquent Bart J. Bok agreed with him. Ever since his arrival in New York as a young man of twenty-three, just two weeks before the 1929 crash, Bok had been making a name for himself as an astronomer. Now he was turning his eyes from the Milky Way to a more visceral problem, one near and dear to him because it concerned the people of his Dutch birthplace, and because his adopted country could act now to help them.

Another distinguished Lowlander was Lucien Brouha, Belgian Physiologist who arrived on the same boat as the Duke and Duchess. Lately he has been living-on-a-gallop between the Fatigue Laboratory and Washington, where his knowledge of the scientific aspects of feeding Europe has been as welcome as milk to a kitten.

Speaking of milk--Vag was getting plenty thirsty. About time for dinner. Afterwards he would just step across into

The Lowell House Junior Common Room

at 8 O'Clock

to hear a

Panel Discussion on "Feeding Europe."